XL Zipper Covered Pillows




MY OVERSIZED PILLOWS


Came across a sale on 30" fluffy white pillow forms/inserts recently which could have several uses such as bed pillows or as pet pillows and the like which needed to be covered. 

Added some tie strings to one of them to make the pillow a wee bit firmer which reduced the pillow to 26" in size. 

  
Started this 26" zippered pillow cover with a 12.5" red white and blue star quilt block for its center block.


 Then added a dozen assorted 6.5" football shaped red "orange peel blocks" to it, which made the pillow cover just about 24.5 inches. Which I increased by two inches simply by adding a light blue one inch border to increase it for the final 26" completed size.


I backed the pillow with a large 3 tone blue diamond shaped print. I added a 20" zipper to the bottom of the pillow cover so I could remove it and for washing purposes seeing that the pillow itself seemed probably too big to throw in a washing machine.


I use my pillow on my 3 position Davenport in my living room for both watching TV and napping on in its highest position. 


THE SECOND  AND THIRD XL PILLOWS

For my second pillow, I played around with more of the football shaped orange peels... Also made the zippered pillow cover the 26" for the 30" white pillow insert, but didn't decrease it in size like the first one. Left it the 30" size, same as I did with other ones I made up afterwards. Came out with the same effect when putting the 26" zippered pillow cover on the 30" pillow inserts. 


Did them a different way. Appliqued them onto a white background. Used a craft glue stick to hold them in place while appliqueing/sewing them in place.


Added a blue circle to the 8 orange peels after appliqueing them with a contrasting thread. 


They look a lot like a flower, similar to a daisey with different colored petals one might say, giving the pillow a vintage look.


And, to continue with the new vintage look, came across some old craft ribbon in my stash which matched the thread used in appliqueing the flower down.

 
Put  the ribbon, about an inch wide, it to use, as a border around the flower to finish the front of the pillow off. To continue moreso with the vintage look on the back of this pillow, used an old vintage fabric that I had in my fabric stash from over 25 years ago that sorta blends in with the front. Especially with the color of some of the flowers being almost the same color as the appliqueing thread color.


This pillow ran away from home when my brother and SIL came to visit shortly afterwards. My SIL took a liking to this one. My brother also took a liking to another one, the third one I had made up, so, they went home with a set of yours and mine in two of the XL pillows. Didn't get a chance to take a photo of his pillow before he escaped with it... Used  just sixteen quilt blocks that were 7" square to enlarge the size of the zippered pillow cover to fit the pillow a wee bit better on his pillow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stringing Quilt Blocks

Working from my FABRIC STASH... April 2015 was really a "Sew Peggy Sew" month